Well, I opened up an old Airfix Dogfight Doubles kit that contained a Beaufighter and a 109 (G6 I think). I started the Beau first, but when I got to the 109 I got intrigued with the tiny little thing! I went to my stash and pulled out all the 109's I had, and decided to build them all. That started a small fire, and I went to RPD and Dean's and ordered another 10 (trying to get a variety of versions). I'll build the original 6 I had in my stash in pretty short succession, then probably space out the others so I don't get bored (I've got a few Phantoms to build you know...).
I won't post play-by-play, but I'll do updates as things move along and a get into each 109.
Here are a few pics of the Airfix 109:
The prominent cowling bulges were a single large hump extending across the nose, so I had to file down and do some shaping to make it look closer to accurate. I scribed the panel line through the back 1/3rd of the bulges, but any remaining panel lines I'll do post-paint via pencil, since all the rivets and panel lines are raised, and I decided early on not to rescribe. The cannon gun barrels are styrene rod (drilled), as it would have been hard to clean up the originals, they were so flashy.
I did file away space for the wingtip lights, then drilled into the backside of some clear sprue filed flat and inserted red/green paint for the "bulbs," then super glued and filed to shape.
Drilled out the small nose inlets, the supercharger inlet, and the gun barrels. Also added copper mesh inside the chin scoop.
Had to create new gear doors from sheet styrene that actually fit. also opened the back side of the radiator scoop, and added the door. Drilled and shaped the shell ejector chutes.
Drilled the exhausts.
I've got the canopy masked and the pilot about ready to insert, so this is about ready for primer. This one will be painted in Italian markings, which were overpainted on the German, so an interesting scheme to try to get right!
Next kits in line are a Tamiya G6 and a Frog F. Behind those I'll build an Academy E3/4, an Avis C1, and a KP S-199 in Israeli markings. I'll list the rest when they arrive...
Added a DF aerial to the Airfix G with wire and spare parts.
Also started on a Frog F. Sanded clean to rescribe, drilled vents and exhausts, and had to do some major work on the gun troughs (reaming them out and drilling to insert gun barrels).